Elite Editing is a full-service editing and writing firm that produces high-quality content for a wide variety of clients. Along with our sister company, Elite Authors, we offer content, publishing, and creative support for companies of all sizes.
We are looking for a highly skilled editor or writer of technology-focused case studies with people management acumen, remote communication expertise, process improvement skills, and a passion for turning talent into teams.
This is a full-time remote role that requires availability Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm EST or a portion thereof (if based in a different time zone). Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes competitive base pay, company paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, remote office stipened, and health reimbursement arrangement, in addition to a great culture and work environment!
The editorial manager will primarily focus on editorial quality control and ensuring successful onboarding, training, and integration of talent across teams on the service line. Below is a breakdown of the five core responsibilities:
Capacity management (staffing, hiring, etc.)
- Strategic oversight of all editorial work and what team we have in place to provide the best product and service possible
- Looks ahead to resource availability and communicates to the hiring team what resources are needed for assignments
- Assisting the hiring team with reviewing and grading editorial applications and matching editors’ skills to projects and service lines
Leadership of content teams
- Leadership and performance management capabilities in establishing and motivating teams and developing their skills
- Leading and supporting and conducting 1:1s with team leads (interviewing, writing, and editorial)
- A focus on team relationships, able to gain trust through communication, expectation setting, and meeting editorial standards
- Reviews and assesses internal team satisfaction or complaints for escalation to senior management
- Successfully onboards and oversees or delegates training of cross-functional internal teams to ensure the talent pipeline is aligned to best support client needs
- Supporting team leads with training, assessing/finding/administering upscaling, certifications, and other opportunities
Scoping support and editorial issue escalation
- Makes internal and external recommendations; program manager to make final decisions
Supports sales team in fleshing out scope of new editorial work
- Creates style guides and process frameworks and implements them (or transfers them for training and daily use to senior editorial team)
- Supports setup of the editorial workflow for new clients
Reviews and assesses editorial complaints from clients and Helps craft answers to clients’ editorial queries
Editorial quality control
- Directly manages service line editorial leads (freelancers or full-time employees)
- Serves as a backup senior editor when freelancers are not available
- Assesses or directs assessment of new editor progress
- Performs regular audits on editors and senior editors
Work closely with editorial and production teams to determine root causes for customer success or failure and drive requirements for product or process enhancement and development as needed
A successful candidate will:
- Have a finely honed knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition (and a passing knowledge of other style guides—chiefly the Associated Press Stylebook [AP]).
- Be a strong communicator. You have clear and effective written and verbal communication skills, which help you to connect well with others.
- Be able to prioritize. You have an innate ability to prioritize and adapt to recognize when something goes off process and communicate quickly.
- Be organized and confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while confidently interacting with clients, teammates, senior leaders, and vendors.
- Be a driven and solutions-oriented leader. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Be tech savvy and comfortable interacting, training, and managing teams in a remote environment (Gmail, Slack, Zoom, Dropbox, etc.).
- Thrive on collaboration with colleagues.
- Get excited about a good process document.
- 3+ years of team management
- 5+ years of editing experience
- Bachelor’s degree a relevant field of study or equivalent work experience
- Mastery of the English language and The Chicago Manual of Style, 17th edition (and a passing knowledge of other style guides)